RSS

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Four on the Floor: 3/10

(Note: I'm hoping to make Four on the Floor a weekly feature, and Wednesdays seem as good a day as any to start.)

1. It's a Beautiful Day - "White Bird"

We got beautiful weather in New York City this week and sometimes there just isn't more pleasant music to listen to than idealistic '60s dreamy folk-pop. It's a Beautiful Day was a one-hit wonder from the '60s, but "White Bird" has managed to stay alive as both a nostalgia piece and a pretty good example of the best of the hippie moment in music.

2. Return to Forever - "Spain"

As I've been exploring fusion jazz, the best hook for me to get into the genre has been exemplary tunes. "Spain" is definitely one of those and I haven't been able to get it out of my head this week. Chick Corea and the gang bust a groove for nine minutes, and it's just a joy to listen to, but the key for me isn't the solos but the outstanding (and funky) breakdown. There's just no replacement for great melodic writing.

3. Michael Giacchino - "Up with End Credits"

Michael Giacchino won the Oscar for Best Score this week for Disney/Pixar's Up, and deservedly so. This track, the end credits suite, takes his absolutely beautiful waltz theme for Ellie and transforms it with endless invention for seven minutes. Some of the most divine movie music of the decade, in my opinion.

4. Mishka - "3rd Eye Vision"

This song was in a free sampler iTunes gave out and, I'll admit, I don't know much about Mishka except that this song rocks. I don't follow much contemporary reggae (yet) but if it's as warm and comfortable as this song is, I want in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment